Julia TS #2- (Sofia)

Julia TS #2 (Sofia) 

Date/Time: Wednesday, January 28th, 2026, 4-5 pm 


Location: Student Union 


Topic/Skill: Reading, Speaking, Writing/ Understanding of university-level texts,


Feedback Provided to the Tutee: 

Today, Sofia and I practiced reading, speaking, and listening. To begin our session, I outlined a brief schedule I had created: 10-15 minutes for reading, 15 minutes for speaking, and 25 minutes for writing. For reading practice, I utilized the scaffolding method and began with highly controlled practice, filling in the missing letters in a paragraph. I timed how long this took her, keeping in mind that on the TOEFL exam, an exercise like this would be allotted about 4 minutes. We then went over her mistakes, the vocabulary she was unsure of, and the paragraph's main premise. We then went through a daily life reading exercise in which Sofia read an email and answered 2 comprehension questions. We then moved on to an academic passage, first skimming it and going through any vocabulary she didn't know. She then read the passage carefully, and we answered the questions. If she answered any questions incorrectly, I didn't immediately give her the right answer; instead, I asked her to use the passage to support her answer, and this usually led us to the right answer. We then transitioned to Speaking practice. Our first exercise was reading sentences, and she repeated them after me. We then simulated an interview in which I asked her open-ended interview questions. Finally, we went over writing topics and chose one that she liked. We discussed her background knowledge of the topic and did some research to build a mental schema for the essay. I then assigned her homework: an essay, which we will correct at the beginning of our next session.


Lesson(s) About Tutoring and/or the Tutee: I learned not to rush the session or the tutee, and that each skill takes longer than I thought. I didn't allocate enough time for reading or speaking, so I think maybe I should try to work on a maximum of two skills per session. I am consistently working on slowing down the speaking rate.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Melina CO #1 = Grammar with Prof. James

Dojun Kim TS #7

Emma Baker TS #12 (Yerlan)