Julia TS #19 (Wei)

Julia TS #19 (Wei) 

Date/Time: Thursday, July 30th, 7:00 PM


Location: Virtual (Zoom)


Topic/Skill: Hometown/Daily Routine, linking words



Feedback Provided to the Tutee: In this session, we began with drills that mimic the IELTS speaking Part I questions, such as

• "Where is your hometown?"

• "What do you like about it?"

• "Do you work or study?"

• "What's your daily routine like?"

I then re-asked Wei 2 of the same questions and had her answer again, focusing on speaking without stopping to self-correct. We timed each answer and got her answers down to the allotted 20-30 seconds per response. We recorded the answers, played them back, and listened together. I had Wei identify one filler-word habit or repetition pattern to work on. In the second part of IELTS speaking, you are given a cue card and have 1 minute to prep before you talk for 1-2 minutes. We came up with this action plan for that one minute.

  1. 0–15 seconds: Pick a real, specific memory (e.g., getting a job offer, passing an exam, a friend having a baby). Do not try to invent an epic story.

  2. 15–45 seconds: Jot down quick keywords next to the bullet points (not full sentences).

  3. 45–60 seconds: Outline your final "why" point—think of two reasons why it impacted you deeply.



“I’d like to talk about….” 

“As I recall, I was…” 

“My initial reaction…” 

“This mattered to me because…..”

Wei and I practiced this process. 

Lesson(s) About Tutoring and/or the Tutee You Learned: I learned the importance of recording speech samples and listening back to them in order to catch filler words and awkward pauses. I also learned how important this is for the tutee themselves to listen to, as we often don't hear the filler words when we speak them. I was again reminded of the effect prepping for a test has on students' attitudes towards language learning as a whole, and made sure that the methods Wei and I used to study for her IELTS exam would have a positive washback and help further her ultimate language goal of communication.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Melina CO #1 = Grammar with Prof. James

Dojun Kim TS #7

Emma Baker TS #12 (Yerlan)