Julia TS #6 (Sofia)
Julia TS #6 (Sofia)
Date/Time: Wednesday, February 11th, 2026, 4-5 pm
Location: Virtual (Zoom)
Topic/Skill: The evolution of language/ Intensive Reading
Feedback Provided to the Tutee: In this session, I provided Sofia with a TOEFL passage about the evolution of modern language and grammar. I chose this passage and its difficulty level to be an intensive read for Sofia, and I conducted comprehension checks after each paragraph that she had read. Then, together, we answered the questions, specifically referencing the passage for any she didn’t understand or answered incorrectly.
Lesson(s) About Tutoring and/or the Tutee: I continue to learn more about the TOEFL exam format and realize it might have been more beneficial to start by providing Sofia with a mental schema about the topic to make it less intimidating to dive in and read. I also think it would be a helpful habit to practice reading the questions before the passage to understand what she is looking for, both during practice and during the exam. I also learned and hope to practice more reading methods that make the intimidatingly long TOEFL passages more easily digestible.
Comments
Post a Comment